BBQ mozzarella, cheddar, Neema spiked tomato jam & kale toastie
Ingredients (serves 2):
200g strong cheddar (grated)
200g mozzarella (grated)
2 long leaves of kale (shredded)
4 slices of sourdough bread
Butter (to spread)
Neema spiked tomato jam
2tsp aromatic ginger Neema paste
6 fresh tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
2tbsp Balsamic vinegar
4tsbp Dark brown sugar
1tbsp light soy sauce
Get your bbq going!
- Make the spiked tomato jam – put the tomatoes, garlic, onion, salt & pepper in a blender and blend at a high speed until smooth.
- Pour into a heavy-based saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar and dark brown sugar and cook down for 30 minutes on low heat, until a jam-like consistency is reached. Set aside – it will thicken as it cools.
- To prepare one toastie, butter both sides of each slice of bread for maximum deliciousness, spread the spiked tomato jam onto the inside of each slice, then the grated mozzarella and cheddar (on each slice also). Then place a layer of shredded kale in the middle, season both slices with salt and pepper and then sandwich both slices together. Repeat this for the second toastie
- Place the toastie onto the bbq and push down with a bbq spatula or something sturdy and heatproof in order to press the toastie down.
- Toast for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the bread is charred and the cheese inside the toastie is gooey