Bulayi is an easy traditional Congolese Jollof Rice served as a delicious side dish for meat and veggie curry.
1 cup of washed rice
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 1/2 cup of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 Tablespoon of salted butter
1 Tablespoon of tomato paste
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 Tablespoon of Neema African Scotch Bonnet Chilli Paste
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice until the water becomes clear to remove the starch.
- In a pan on a medium heat, add the oil and fry the onion and tomato paste for 5 mins.
- Lower the heat and add rice, butter and Neema African Scotch Bonnet Chilli Paste. Fry for another 5 mins and add salt to taste
- Add the broth (Chicken or vegetable), stir and cover and leave to simmer until the water reduces (about 20 mins). Continually check that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the water has reduced, lower the heat even more and cover with aluminum foil for the rice to cook evenly for 10 mins.
- Serve with a meat or vegetable dish of your choice.