A delicious authentic dish from DR Congo. Easy to make and really tasty with white rice or sweet potatoes.
500g Cannellini beans
1 Onion (chopped)
3 Spring onions (chopped)
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 Tsp of Neema African Scotch Bonnet Chilli Paste
3 Tbsps. of Tomato puree
2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
3 Tbsps. of Olive Oil
1. Rinse and soak the beans overnight. If you miss this step you can do step 2 for 60 to 90mins.
2. In a pan add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and bay leaves and bring beans to a boil for 30 mins or until tender on a low heat. Once beans are tender, remove from heat and keep the bean water.
3. In a separate pan, add olive oil and fry onion, garlic, spring onion until tender. Add chopped tomatoes, Neema African Scotch Bonnet Chilli Paste and tomato puree and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins.
4. Whilst simmering the tomato sauce, add a pinch of nutmeg and vegetable stock cubes. Check for salt and if needed, add to taste.
5. Pour the sauce onto the beans, add 1 cup of water and simmer for 20 mins or until sauce thickens.
6. Serve with white rice or sweet potatoes.