Today we visit Kenya for our recipe today. Pilaf is a beautiful rice dish packed full of flavour.
3 cups rice
2 cups of coconut milk
2 cups water
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic
10 green cardamom pods
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 bouillon cube
Salt to taste
2 Tbsps. Neema Aromatic Ginger Chilli Paste
1) Put a pan on medium heat and toast the spices. Toast the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and cloves for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cumin and coriander seeds and toast for a further 1-2 minutes. Mix consistently.
2) With a mortar and pestle, grind all the spices except the cinnamon stick.
3) Into a pan on medium heat add the oil. Sauté the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken, spices, Neema paste and bouillon cube. Cook for five minutes, stirring consistently.
4) Add the cinnamon stick.
5) Stir in the rice for two minutes then add the coconut milk and water. Salt to taste.
6) Cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes. Then turn of the heat and let steam for 5 minutes
7) Fluff and enjoy!